Sunday, April 15, 2007


STORIES

It was a rainy, cold Saturday. Somehow that seems so much worse in April. I rode down to a winery in Richmond with a couple who are planning a June wedding there. We had lunch and talked about many things: their plans, their families, their challenges. Somewhere along the line we got to place where we were talking about Liquor Barn. I said, "Let me tell you a story about Liquor Barn! Yesterday, I went there to pick up balloons for my daughter's 14th birthday party. I was excited because they actually have BROWN and AQUA balloons-- her colors! Wrestling the helium filled ballons into the car, I must have dropped my wallet on the ground. I realized when I got home that I didn't have it, but it was too close to party time to go back, and a call revealed that no wallet had been called in. Meanwhile, my husband, out getting videos for the party, went to the Blockbuster next to Liquor Barn, and inquired, just on the chance... Lo and behold! A man had left a card there with his contact information saying he'd found a wallet. When called, he brought the wallet back to the Blockbuster!" (By the way, that's not the first time that's happened to me--it happened once before, in an airport, in California, with my entire purse). Some people are really good.

The bride and groom then told a story. They'd been in Oregon, at a restaurant, on the third day of vacation, and he received a call telling him that his Papaw had died. He began to sob inconsolably. He really loved his grandfather, and he was so far away from Kentucky. When they arose to pay the bill, the cashier told them that the couple at the next table had left a $20 bill and said, "I don't know why that man was crying so, but we just want them to have this in hopes it might help in some way." I loved these stories. We all have them.

They turned a gloomy day into a treasure! We should tell those kind of stories more often.